Brittan Mathis Chapman--Father of Sarah Elizabeth Chapman who married Charles Moore, Sr. Mr. Chapman is buried at Magnolia Cemetery in the Moore Family Plot along with his first and second wives.
- Mr. Chapman entered Confederate service on December 14, 1861 at Camp Hampton in Columbia, S. C.
- He was a private in Company B, 17th South Carolina Infantry (Fairfield County unit)
- He was admitted to the General Hospital at Camp Winder, Richmond, Virginia, August 29, 1862 with typhoid fever. He returned to duty on October 17, 1862.
- He transferred to Company H, 6th SCV by special order 218/11 on September 14, 1863.
- He was wounded on May 9, 1864; burned on the left ankle.
- He was wounded by minie balls in both knees and thighs on Sept. 30, 1864.
- Last on company rolls September/October 1864.
Company H, 6th SCV was under the command of his son-in-law's nephew, Capt. James Petty Moore. Hugh Moore, brother of Capt. Moore also served in the company.
South Carolina Archives and History
Compiled Service Records, NARS Microcopy #267; Roll # CW739 and CW 826.